Student internship (Engineering)
Development of novel solutions for the customization of oral appliances
Aesyra SA is a start-up that develops smart oral appliances for monitoring and treating sleep disorders like bruxism and obstructive sleep apnea. Customization of the shape of oral appliances is important in order to obtain an accurate fit to the anatomy of the teeth and ensure the comfort of the patient. This process can be especially challenging for oral appliances containing electronics, like AesyBite.
The goal of this student project is to study the feasibility of new materials and methods for the fabrication of sensorized oral appliances that can be customized to a patient dental anatomy and occlusion in a dental studio setting.
- Bachelor student in mechanical/materials/microsystems engineering or related fields
- Basic knowledge of mechanics CAD and manufacturing methods (3D printing, CNC)
- Collaborate with the engineering team to formulate and refine new manufacturing ideas
- Perform experiments with new materials and processes to verify their feasibility
- Characterize the performance of the tested solutions
- This internship project offers you the opportunity to experience working in a start-up environment and collaborating with a multidisciplinary engineering team
- You will gather technical experience on the design and manufacturing of wearable sensors and you will be exposed to many aspects of medical device development
- The solutions you will develop may become part of actual commercial products and have a real impact on the quality of sleep of thousands of people
The project will be carried out entirely at Aesyra SA in Bussigny (VD), Switzerland.
Project responsible: Pietro Maoddi, PhD