Student internship (Design)
Rethinking smart oral appliances for intraoral sensing
Aesyra SA is a start-up that develops smart oral appliances with embedded electronics for monitoring and treating sleep disorders like bruxism and obstructive sleep apnea. Many design challenges are involved in the development of such unique products, as they need to be customizable by the dentist in a matter of minutes, feel comfortable in the mouth of the patient during sleep, allow for easy cleaning, and more.
The goal of this student project is to redesign the AesyBite product with a particular attention to the optimization of the geometry of the appliance in relation to the oral anatomy, as well as to the improvement of the usability of the device.
- Master student in Product Design or related field
- Basic knowledge of CAD, plastic materials behavior and related manufacturing processes
- Discuss with dentists, patients and engineers to identify the user needs and constraints
- Formulate concepts and procure prototypes
- Evaluate your solutions in tests with volunteers
- This internship project offers you the opportunity to experience working in a start-up environment and collaborating with a multidisciplinary engineering team
- You will gather experience on the design and manufacturing of wearable sensors and you will be exposed to some aspects of medical device development
- The solutions you will develop may become part of actual commercial products and have a real impact on the quality of sleep of many people
The project will be carried out entirely at Aesyra SA in Bussigny (VD), Switzerland.
Project responsible: Pietro Maoddi, PhD